Tuesday, July 25, 2017

True Inspirations - Part 2: Tim Burton

Darkness is a little too bright, apparently. 

Hello. No special intro. Sometimes a simple "hello" is all it takes, don't you think?

In my last post speaking of people who influenced me creatively I spoke about Walt Disney. This time I will speak about Tim Burton, another creative inspiration of mine.

I had of course seen Burton's three first efforts, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, BeetleJuice and Batman, but I wouldn't say I became a huge fan of his until I received a copy of Batman Begins on VHS. From then on something about his aesthetic spoke to me. I wasn't a particularly gothic kid or anything. I didn't wear black (not gothically anyway, it was more of a punk rock-style black), I didn't listen to The Cure or any kind of industrial music, but there was something about the kiddie-gothic style of Burton that spoke to me. I really can't describe it except to say perhaps it's because of my dark, yet humorous personality––two qualities his films tend to have.

Despite what people say of his latest offerings (I quite enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children and Big Eyes, Alice in Wonderland, not so much), I still immensely enjoy the art direction of his films. That, unlike his storytelling, hasn't changed a bit and has become even more focused and beautiful over the years.

My two books, The Death of Death and The Deceased Miss Blackwell and her Not-So-Imaginary Friends, are heavily influenced by his art and story style. If you're a fan of his you just might enjoy these two books of mine.

Indeed, Mr. Burton and I may have a connection in the near future due to a project based on "Death" that will come to fruition soon. I can't talk about it much because there's really nothing to say yet. But it's a really exciting endeavor that I can't wait to share with you all once details become more available.

Looking at the picture above and considering his body of work up until now, it's kind of hard to believe he'll be helming the live action version of "Dumbo" soon. But such is life.

Thanks for peeking into my brain. Be careful of what peeks back.

Links to books below.




Amazon Link: The Deceased Miss Blackwell and her Not-So-Imaginary Friends Presale
Amazon UK link: The Deceased Miss Blackwell and her Not-So-Imaginary Friends UK




Also still on sale in digital, paperback and audio book forms
The Death of Death (Perma-Free)
Autonomously Yours









No comments:

Post a Comment