Friday, January 4, 2013

The Breaking of the Bad


Recently, I've been spending a lot of time watching 'Breaking Bad', a show I have just discovered, thanks to Netflix and the advice of trusted friends. I've been watching it so much so that if you ask me what happened during which episode I wouldn't be able to tell you, because I'm not remembering it by episode number, but by events in the story. It's as if I'm living it right beside the characters. I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way either. Just today I stepped on a shard of something small and blue on my floor that made me seriously question my sanity.

Besides the obvious great performances and writing, I like this show mostly because of the morality of the two main characters, who are, at their core, decent, morally good human beings, but who are forced to do horrible, unspeakable, immoral acts.

No matter what disgusting task they do, they seriously consider their actions before they do it. In the beginning, Jesse less so than Walt, of course, but in the later seasons it's Walt who seems to be the less sympathetic one. Yes, it's their fault they're in this mess, but they didn't go into this business to cause harm. They just wanted a quick buck. And in Walt's case, there was a much more noble reason behind his motivations.

I also love the unexpected humor of the show. Walt and Jesse are the best American comedy duo of the 21st century! When the two fight over a matter, it distresses me, much the same way I felt when Lucy and Ethel quarreled over something trivial.

It's absolutely interesting to see what would drive a brilliant man of science to become so villainous. One wonders if James Bond's villains, or any other fictional mad scientist, were in similar situations before they turned to a life of crime. Did Dr. Robotnik have lung cancer before he captured all of those cute furry animals and trapped them inside of robots? (Sonic the Hedgehog reference for those not in the know.)

I doubt this show needs my ringing endorsement to get people to see it, but if you haven't watched it yet, I urge you to find it and check it out. If for no other reason than to hear Jesse say the word 'bitch' ad nauseum.

Fair warning: The show in parts is very, VERY violent.




No comments:

Post a Comment